Here’s a regular feature on our BBQ menu, easy, tasty and definitely a crowd pleaser. Try and marinade for at least a few hours or even overnight if possible.
This makes enough marinade for about 10 drumsticks – so adjust accordingly.
- 10 free range chicken drumsticks – skin on
- 2 tsp of fresh masala
- 3 heaped tsp of ground coriander and cumin
- 2 heaped tsp of gram masala
- 1 tbsp of tandoori powder
- 1 tsp of salt (or to taste)
- 2 tbsp of lime or lemon juice
- 1 tbsp oil.
- Prepare the chicken drumsticks by slashing them using a sharp knife to allow the marinade to penetrate – keep the skin on
- Place the drumsticks in a large bowl
- In a small bowl mix all the marinade ingredients – taste the marinade and adjust flavour if you need to by adding more ingredients
- Pour the marinade over the chicken and using your hand rub the marinade into the drumsticks
- If possible place the drumsticks into the fridge and allow to marinade as long as possible
- Cook drumsticks on your BBQ – try and keep a medium heat to prevent the marinade burning off
- Cook for around 45 minutes depending on the size of the drumsticks
- Check the meat is cooked before serving
- Always try and rest the drumsticks for a 5-10 minutes before eating.
figure 1. marinade
figure 2. marinaded chicken